Boys’ soccer tie St. Johns 1-1

Photo courtesy of the Wilson PTSO

Jamie Stewart-Aday, Managing Editor

In a game cut short by rain, the Tigers’ boys varsity soccer team left St. Johns College High School with a one to one draw. The result comes in the teams first game of the season.

The game started out slow, with both teams trading chances without scoring for most of the first half. The Tigers got their first good chance in the 19th minute when Kastriot Djoka let a shot go from the top of the box and missed just left. They came close again in the 24th minute but fell short as part of a quiet first half for both offenses.

That trend stopped, however, in the 32nd minute, when St. Johns got on the board with a controversial goal. After the ball cleared the head of Wilson goalie Ben Perez, defender Robert Giroux appeared to clear it before crossing the line for a goal. But after review, the officials determined that it was a goal.

The teams traded chances for the next eight minutes, but there were no more goals before half.

Although Wilson went into halftime down by a goal, they were not without positives. Senior John Keating looked strong, creating multiple chances and wreaking havoc on the St. Johns defense. Additionally, the Wilson fanbase showed out, giving the team lots of encouragement in what was supposed to be an away game.

That encouragement paid off almost immediately in the second half when the Tigers wasted only four minutes before scoring an equalizer. The goal began with a great run up the right side of the field by Djoka, who got past multiple St. Johns defenders before placing a cross on the head of forward Bless Tumushabe. Tumushabe took care of the rest, putting the ball in the back of the net and tying the game at one.

Wilson appeared to have a chance three minutes later but was stopped by a questionable hand ball call. That proved to be the last good chance of the game, as the referee called it a few minutes after due to oncoming rain.

Although they didn’t get a win, the Tigers were happy with the performance. “That was a good first game,” said Perez, “we were happy because it was our first game and St. Johns is one of our toughest opponents.”