Athlete of the Month: Collin Bosley-Smith

Alex Cirino, Sports Editor

As many tigers know, Collin Bosley-Smith has been a standout junior pitcher for the baseball team this season. As a three-year letterwinner at Wilson, Bosley-Smith won the Gatorade DC State Player of the Year award after leading the Tigers to back-to-back DCSAA state championship appearances.

Bosley-Smith entered his junior season having trained harder than ever before. His fastball reached speeds up to 97 mph, assuring himself that he was ready to take on his toughest opponents yet. With 13 games against private schools, Bosley-Smith knew that he would be facing the DMV’s best athletes. Ending the year with a 2.06 ERA and 54 strikeouts in just 37.1 innings pitched including one no-hitter, his consistent dominance on the mound has taken Wilson to the top of the ranks.

Bosley-Smith’s major contributions brought more media attention to Tiger Nation and caught the eye of Duke University’s program. In the spring of his sophomore year, Bosley-Smith announced his verbal commitment to play at Duke. “I like the coaches a lot, the academics are great, and they are a program on the rise which could be very good in the next few years,” he said. His baseball career at Wilson is still undetermined as he is still contemplating whether or not to join Duke’s squad early, a decision he believes will allow him to pursue other baseball opportunities.

While his time at Wilson may be cut short, he still hopes to cherish all of the great moments from his junior season. “Obviously the [Dominican Republic] trip was awesome and playing against the private schools was a great experience.” Bosley-Smith added. If we see Bosley-Smith on the mound next season, expect another promising push towards DCIAA and DCSAA titles and many more achievements as a team.